So, this weekend I found myself in a few conversations about home decor. After these conversations I left feeling a little like my house was lacking and that maybe nobody liked the things I was doing to my home. I kept asking Kevin if our house looked good. Well, I quickly let those thoughts go after I looked back over some old photos of my house. I thought I would share with you what I saw then and what I see now.
Exhibt A: This is what my living room looked like when we first moved in. Yep that is Madeleine playing on the floor. Can you believe how big she has gotten. Now, look at the room can you say ugly and bare? The only thing int this picture I like are the floors and my cute little girl. The photo below is a different view of that room looking towards the kitchen.
(That wall paper is terrible and the blue wainscotting isn't much better. Can you see the brown door off to the left and notice the glass door in the background with the ugly hanging blinds. UGG.( click on the pic to make it bigger and see things closer.)

Now to the today view. Lets first notice the fire place. Yes go ahead scroll back up and look at what it use to look like and then come back to this pic. Yes I did that, and when I say I that doesn't include Kevin. I had some help from my friend Heather to get me started and give me moral support, but I finished it all. I have ideas for something to hang over the fireplace but it is still in the works. The curtains are also fun for me. They warm the wall and window, but my favorite is my rug. My first big buy online. Scary but again Heather held my hand and it turned out AWESOME.

Just another view for ya.

This beautiful piano was a very generous gift and Carter and I are practicing everyday on it. I actually love this corner of the room. I especially love that Carter will sit down and play the piano when he is bored and I can hardly believe that I can play my favorite primary song, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me."

This brand new couch was a valentines/anniversary gift. Just got it a week or so ago. It is in need of some cute pillows so they are in the works as well.
NOtice the wainscotting through out the room in all the above pics. I did that too. Kevin replaced all the doors in the house but I did all the trim work after I finished the living room. I still have some painting to do but its top on my list.

We also had new windows and this door put in. Kevin calls this his Pottery Barn door not sure why but it does look way better than the old metal one.
So, I have decided that maybe home decor is not my best talent but I am learning and growing. I love my home and I am proud of the things that I have been able to do. I might move slower than some but it gets done and I love coming home to a nice warm and clean home.
Come on over and enjoy it with me someday.
2 comments:
Love your new couch! Ok it's my turn! Who cares what other's think? You have worked hard on that house and it looks great. People who decorate to flatter others are decorating for the wrong reasons. You are decorating to have a nice place for your family to live not to show off. Good for you. Now can you come over here and help me out? Maybe you could learn how to re-upholster furniture? Oh, and I love that clock on the wall in the living room too.
adYou have a beautifully decorated home, that you are SO kind to invite me into time and time again.
I also LOVE your rug and think that the most important thing is that your house isn't just a house, but feels like a home. Truly. Turning a house into a home takes talent, and it is a talent you have. I could learn a lot. Maybe someday.
Post a Comment