Thursday, June 10, 2010

Marathon Report

Okay. I don't have any pictures from this race. I forgot my camera, and really after this one I am okay that I don't have a picture. I am just going to say it, this was my worst marathon so far. UGGG! I have honestly never felt so bad in my life. I know taking those lst 5 weeks of training slower really hurt me but what else could I have done. Also, for some reason at mile 20 I got really sick to my stomach and it lasted the rest of the day. So I will have to find another marathon to run and new motivation to train for it.
This race may have been bad but I did learn a few things from it, you don't have to read on if you don't want to but here it is.
1. Setting Goals/re-setting goals: I found with this race it really is good to set a goal and work as hard as you can to reach it. I will admit in my life I have never really worked as hard as I should toward my goals. I set them and start out great and then I tend to let life take over. With this race I really had set my mind to my goal and I was working hard for it and it felt really good. However, sometimes life happens and we have to re- set our goals and that is okay. For me this was really hard to reset my mind to the fact that all my hard work was kind of for nothing and that I wasn't going to reach my goal but I learned I didn't fail I just had to re-adjust.

2.Family really is everything:
This weekend I got to spend time with Kevin and Eric. These two really are two peas in a pod. They think the same way and laugh at the same things. They truly live in twin world. I had so much fun hanging out with them. We all finishe the marathon around the same time. It was so nice to have them on the course. I got so tired and sick and then Eric passed me and he told me I couldn't walk because we hadn't finished yet. So, I started running. It was still really hard. After awhile I caught back up to Eric and he pointed forward to Kevin who was walking and eric said, " she I have waited 7 years to pass him" Then the jokes started coming between the two of them. I don't think they realize it but I really needed them around at that time to help me finish. Family is great they never leave you and you can always have fun with them.

3. I felt crappy but it got better: So during the race and after the race I felt like CRAP!! The next day I was exhausted. But believe it or not today I feel great (besides the stupid cold I have) and I want to find another race to do. So, you may feel like crap but things get better and you can always try again.

So there it is after all my months of hard work. I did terrible but at least I finished and earn my t-shirt and I will move on to my next goal. How about you what are you working for? Keep on running!!

3.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations on finishing, and I am impressed with all the things you learned and with your good attitude. Life really does have a way of taking unexpected twists and turns and it's all about how we deal with it. Thanks for sharing.

Nurse Graham said...

I've been waiting to hear about your race. I'm sorry that it didn't go as well as you planned. But congratulations on finishing and the good self-reflection about the race.

I finally got back to running after a 2 week break. It's been good but hard because my running buddy is training for another 1/2 in July. I really would like to do a fall or winter marathon, but am nervous about the distance and training in the summer. We'll just have to see.

Again, congrats.