Friday, April 30, 2010

Why now!!

Okay this just sucks. No other way to put it. I have been working my butt off for the last 10+ weeks to get ready for this marathon and now I have an ouchie!! UGGGGGG! You see two weeks ago when I was running my 20 miles right at the very end I hit a curb wrong and rolled on my ankle. I almost hit the ground but because of my cat like reflexes (He, He) I stayed upright. I am sure I looked really fun to all the people around me especially because I kind of made a funny noise too. Well, I didn't think much of it and last week I was a little bit sore but nothing horrible so I kept running. After last Saturday's 15 miles I started to really notice the ouchie. UGGGGG! Now, I am suppose to run 20 again tomorrow and I know that I shouldn't. With the education I have and the things I have learned over the years I know I should not run 20 tomorrow but it is literally killing me. I am 5 1/2 weeks away from the marathon and in my little brain I keep thinking if I don't run I won't get me goal, I will bonk. I know better than to run 20 feeling this way but my brain doesn't seem to want to grasp that idea all the way. I have to get better because in two weeks it is my final 20 miler before the race and it is very important to me that I run it. UUUUGGG! What bugs me the most is that I know that if I could just do some physical therapy like some quick E-stim for the swelling and followed up with an ultrasound to speed up healing that it would help so much, but PT is very expensive and I would have to pay for it out of pocket. Man, if only I had kept working at least one day a week for a really nice therapist. Where is my old boss when I need her.

Okay enough moaning I will try to behave tomorrow and only run what I can but you should just know that inside I am dying!!! (okay not literally but you get my point)

Have a great day and keep on running!

3 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh that does stink! being a runner often means being smarter than our training plan. Says the girl who is planning to run 18 tomorrow after a car wreck...yeah runners aren't smart, we just run :)

Hope the ankle feels ok

Melodie Monberg said...

Don't run...bike, pool...to make sure you do your race. I know your pain...it stinks! BUT it's just one run...and look at all you've done. You are getting ready and WILL BE ready...just give yourself time.

There, how's that for a pep talk!

Nurse Graham said...

Melodie's suggestion of cross-training sounds like the best idea. I hope you didn't decide to bite the bullet and run away.

I know how bad it sucks to have an injury so close to a race. I was out for a 12-miler this morning and the last mile was awful because my IT band decided to get very grumpy. Planning on a lot of foam-roller action this week (if you weren't a runner, that might sound a little kinky).

PS I don't really know Sister Sassy, but to me it sounds like she teaches at U of Oregon. Her blog name is Mhana. Thought you might know her since it sounds like you are in the same area.